OHSAS 18001 (Electronic Toolkit)
What is OHSAS 18001?
OHSAS 18000 is an international occupational health and safety management system specification. It comprises two parts, 18001 and 18002 and embraces a number of other publications.
For the record, the following other documents, amongst others, were used in the creation process:
- BS8800:1996 Guide to occupational health and safety management systems
- DNV Standard for Certification of Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems(OHSMS):1997
- Technical Report NPR 5001: 1997 Guide to an occupational health and safety management system
- Draft LRQA SMS 8800 Health & safety management systems assessment criteria
- SGS & ISMOL ISA 2000:1997 Requirements for Safety and Health Management Systems
- BVQI SafetyCert: Occupational Safety and Health Management Standard
- Draft AS/NZ 4801 Occupational health and safety management systems Specification with guidance for use
- Draft BSI PAS 088 Occupational health and safety management systems
- UNE 81900 series of pre-standards on the Prevention of occupational risks
- Draft NSAI SR 320 Recommendation for an Occupational Health and Safety (OH and S) Management System
OHSAS 18001 is an Occupation Health and Safety Assessment Series for health and safety management systems. It is intended to help an organizations to control occupational health and safety risks. It was devloped in response to widespread demand for a recognized standard against which to be certified and assessed.
OHSAS 18001 was created via a concerted effort from a number of the worlds leading national standards bodies, certification bodies, and specialist consultancies. A main driver for this was to try to remove confusion in the workplace from the proliferation of certifiable OH&S specifications.
The participants were as follows:
- * National Standards Authority of Ireland
* Standards Australia
* South African Bureau of Standards
* British Standards Institution
* Bureau Veritas Quality International
* Det Norske Veritas
* Lloyds Register Quality Assurance
* National Quality Assurance
* SFS Certification
* SGS Yarsley International Certification Services
* Asociaci?spa? de Normalizaci? Certificaci?r
* International Safety Management Organisation Ltd
* Standards and Industry Research Institute of Malaysia
* International Certification Services
The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organisation that wishes to:
- Establish an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimise risk to employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with its activities
- Assure itself of its conformance with its stated OH&S policy
- Demonstrate such conformance to others
- Implement, maintain and continually improve an OH&S management system
- Make a self-determination and declaration of conformance with this OHSAS specification.
- Seek certification/registration of its OH&S management system by an external organisation
Essentially, OHSAS helps in a variety of respects… it helps: minimise risk to employees/etc; improve an existing OH&S management system; demonstrate diligence; gain assurance; etc. The benefits can be substabtial.
The OHSAS Electronic Toolkit
OHSAS 18000 actually forms part of the acclaimed Health and Safety Electronic Toolkit. This includes not only the text from OHSAS 18001/2, but a variety of support materials and information. This is an excellent next step.
It is supplied worldwide as an instant internet download, and contains:
- OHSAS 18001/2 – The full text of OHSAS. Two Standards which assist in the implementation of an occupational health and safety certification system.
- THE GUIDE – ‘Guidance for Implementation of OHSAS 18000’, a practical MS-Word based guide to the standards. It clearly explains how occupational health and safety management using OHSAS 18000 can be tackled and integrated, and includes graphical explanations, a checklist and plain English descriptions.
- THE SAFETY MANUAL – A comprehensive and detailed MS-Word based manual (over 80 pages), inclusive of policies, procedures, and handling guides. An excellent aid to rapid implementation.
- RISK ASSESSMENT – An excellent introduction to safety and risk assessment, again supplied in MS-Word format to enable direct editing if required.
- OHSAS 18002 PRESENTATION – A full presentation, supplied in editable PowerPoint format, introducing and explaining the OHSAS 18002 standard.
- AWARENESS – This is a substantial and detailed general health and safety presentation, designed to act as an awareness aid for staff and contractors. It is again provided in editable PowerPoint format to enable integration of any specific needs.
- ASSESSMENT SURVEYS – This comprises a collection of safety assessment surveys, provided in MS-Word format, dedigned to help identify shortcomings and potential problem areas.
For further information regarding the Toolkit, click the source below: